Friday, October 28, 2011

"Red Riding Hood"

Red Riding Hood 2

"Red Riding Hood"
© David A. Ziser

This image was captured during this week's Napa Experience workshop.  And, it was made in the parking lot of Jacuzzi Winery before we all headed to Caneros Deli, a great little find in Sonoma Valley.

The sun was high in the sky but luckily I was able to position the sun behind Kim, my model.  Whenever I’m working outside, the rule for me is to get the sun behind the subject.  That puts the subject’s face in shadow which let's me layer my off camera flash onto that shadow side to get the dimensional loop lighting I like.

What I like about this image is how the Sonoma hills are also layered in different shades adding a certain amount of depth to the scene. I positioned the model at nodal point #2 in order to have her face lead into the hills seen in the rest of the image.

Lighting was coming in from camera right, my Quantum at 1/2 power through my Zumbrella, just out of camera range.  I think Kim's bright smile and bright red coat against the Sonoma countryside make for a nice (parking lot) portrait.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 18-200mm IS lens at ??, F16 @ 1/250 second, ISO 200. Enjoy!  -David

_____________________________________________________

Good Morning Everybody,

We really enjoyed our first day off in 3 weeks yesterday.  The treat for me was re-visiting Jacuzzi and Chateau St Jean wineries this time, not for photography, but for a taste of their great wines.  I'm making it short and sweet today.  LaDawn and I need a little breathing room in our schedule and are planning to explore more of this beautiful area again today.

We're in town till Sunday morning and then off to Phoenix and Sedona for a little business and to visit a friend.  How about I see you next week hailing from the Arizona highways.

Have a great weekend and I’ll plan to see you bright and early on Monday.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment