Friday, October 21, 2011

A New Book In The Works & I Need Your Help!

Good Afternoon Everybody,

I've got some great news for everybody today.  I just had a meeting with my good buddies at Kelby Media who published my first book, “Captured By The Light”, and guess what - I just got the OK for my second book, "Make Your Lighting Exciting".  And I’m stoked!

Here is where I need your help.  I've got a rough outline laid out for the book but I would sure like to get input from our loyal DigitalProTalk.com readers in case I missed anything.

Let me show you what I've got so far.  Here is the super rough draft of ideas and it targets all photographers, not just wedding photographers..

Make Your Lighting Exciting:

0046-Kelby - Hope and Ben-IMG_8121- The characteristics of light

  • Small Light source
  • Large Light source
  • Hybrid light sources

- Do brands make a difference - Light is Light

- What kind of lighting and when to use it:

  • For brides
  • Larger groups
  • Character studies
  • Lighter skin vs. darker skin tones

- Why understand lighting ratios:

  • Contrast control
  • Specular vs. diffused highlights

Pretty In PinkIMG_9528-Edit- Make your lighting exciting:

  • Lighting for mood
  • Lighting for beauty
  • Lighting for dramatic effect

- The right lighting for your lens choice

  • Wide angle lens, what kind of light
  • Telephoto lens, what kind of light

Hot To TrotIMG_1830- Light sources

  • Shoe mount strobes
  • Off camera portable strobes
  • Studio lighting
  • Continuous output lights

- Using lighting to create shadows

  • Shadows for backgrounds
  • Shadows for dramatic effect
  • Shadows to hide defects
  • Shadows to create dimension
  • Shadows to flatter the subject

- Lighting gear that doesn't break the bank

- Easy lighting setups to get great results

- Reflectors made easy

0006- Perfect PortraitsIMG_2219- Telephoto reflectors, or how to really throw the light

- Everyday items that make creative light sources

- Creating your own "shoestring budget" lighting studio

OK, What do you think so far?  I'd sure like to hear from our readers with any additional ideas and topics you would like to see covered.

How About A $50 B&H Gift Certificate For Your Thoughts?

I'll tell you what I'll do.  Everyone who submits an idea or topic will be eligible to win a $50 Gift Certificate from B&H - how about that for a little incentive;~)

I can't wait to see what you come up with.  Please leave all your suggestions in the Comment section below with your name.  In a few weeks, I'll review the ideas to date and see what we've got and then select a winner. 

____________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today.  I've got to get ready for my program tonight at the Orange County Photography Center.  It looks like we've got a full house and I'm really looking forward to visiting with everyone this evening.  I sure hope you can make it and please be sure to come on up and say HI.

We head out tomorrow for Northern California for my Napa/Sonoma Experience beginning Sunday evening.  So over these next few weeks, I should have some pretty exciting images to share with you.

Have a great weekend and I'll see you bright and early on Monday morning from Wine Country.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment